Friday, October 19, 2007

Metro and the World

I guess now that I live in the District, it is time I start complaining about the Metro.

I don't really have a complaint though, more a plea. Please, WMATA, just provide high-quality service no matter what. Washington D.C. is the capital of the United States; thousands of international visitors are here. When they see delay after delay, broken down escalators, and train cars, their opinion of our social system is negatively affected.

My former Russian teacher told me once how in the Soviet Union, there were always two airports. One for international and one for domestic. The international airport ran beautifully, so all international travellers viewed the Soviet system favorably. And even though the domestic airport was a death trap, the Soviet Union knew the power of perceptions.

Now, I'm not advocating a faux-Metro system like the Soviets tried to pull off with their airports, but just that WMATA, DC Government, and Congress (since "constitutionally" they should be running things) to improve the Metro system to a point where all Americans can be proud of it and foreigners envious.

No comments: