Monday, October 22, 2007

Know Your D.C. Bum: Michael

I've always felt the plight of the regular D.C. bum is one that needs to be addressed by this city. More than anything I have always wanted to know a bit about their situation. I've decided to use this blog to meet a few of the impoverished and share their stories with you.

Here's Michael. He currently asks for change outside the CVS on Connecticut Ave. & K Street, Northwest.

Me: Michael, where are you originally from?
Michael: D.C.

Me: How long have you lived on the streets..err been in this situation?
Michael: Few years.

Me: Like how many?
Michael: Ah like ten.

Me: Why do you pick this area to ask for change?
Michael: Anywhere else to go.

Me: Ok, so nothing particular?
Michael: Nah.

Me: Who are the biggest givers?
Michael: just people.

Me: Like white people, black people, women?
Michael: just people.

Me: How can more people in D.C. be more assistance to you?
Michael: Well,...try to find me a job. More shelters, a whole lot more. There ain't no shelters around here.

Me: If you could be anywhere in this world, where would you be?
Michael: Where I be at, haha, way far away from this joint..way far away.



So not the most insightful interview. I wanted to be delicate for my first time. By the fourth question, we got to be a bit more comfortable with each other. I'll try to be more ballsy next time.

I want to thank Michael for speaking to me. If you see him on the street, give him something. He's a real nice guy.

No comments: