Thursday, October 25, 2007

Foreign Affairs: Losing Russia Article

My November/December issue of Foreign Affairs came in the mail this weekend. It takes me a while to get through the entire magazine, so I'm sure I'll have posts throughout the month on it.

The first article I read was Dimitri K. Simes's article titled, "Losing Russia". Dimitri Simes is president of the Nixon Center, a think-tank I have in a way admired for its realist view towards international politics. I also consider myself a Russophile.

Well, I was a bit perplexed while reading Mr. Sime's article. I thought it was biased and blamed America a bit too harshly for its poor relations with Russia today. He also seems to consider the way America tried to spread its influence in the region of the former Soviet Republics as a bad thing. That didn't make much sense to me. In the 1990's, knowing that Russia was weak, wouldn't a realist policy be to take advantage and spread American influence as much as possible in the region, especially towards the new states??

Also, America's policy towards Russia wasn't a total failure during the 1990's. I noticed no mention in the article about letting Russia join G7 to make the G8.

Click here for the article. Sorry Foreign Affairs only gives the first page and so, you have to pay for the rest.

No comments: