Monday, October 22, 2007

David Chase on Sopranos Finale


I read this article a few days ago, before I had my blog, so I thought it was still timely enough to post it up.

I found it on Entertainment Weekly's website and apparently is an excerpt from the upcoming Sopranos book. The really interesting part of the interview is this:

Have you heard the elaborate theories about what really happened? Like the one that says you were re-creating The Last Supper?
The interesting thing is that, if you're creative, there may be things at work that you're not even aware of: things you learned in school, patterns you've internalized. I had no intention of using The Last Supper, but who knows if, subconsciously, it just came out. If people want to sit there figuring this stuff out, I think that's just great. Most of them, most of us, should have done this kind of thing in high school English class and didn't.


Are they wasting their time? Is there a puzzle to be solved?
There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Jerry Toricano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. That's the way things happen: It's already going on by the time you even notice it.


Are you saying...?
I'm not saying anything. And I'm not trying to be coy. It's just that I think that to explain it would diminish it.

I'm taking from this that Tony was shot in the finale. It all makes sense, especially when Tony has a flashback of Bobby saying referring to death, "when it happens, you'll never see it coming"

Quick criticism of the interview:

1. Bad comparison of the Sopranos finale to the Last Supper. Not really in the same boat.
2. David Chase kind of comes off like an ass in the interview. Also the picture they use of him makes him look like the Emperor from Star Wars.
3. I will say I gained new respect for him because of how he treats we the viewers not like idiots.

Here's the entire article: "'Sopranos' Creator Takes on Angry Fans"

No comments: